Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Day 6- Tuesday

Yesterday evening turned into a mini-nightmare. Took the dog for a walk, doing the circular walk that I prefer. Got part way round and entered a field which I will call Field 1. On leaving the other end of Field 1, two cows appeared meaning the dog's exit was a little faster than normal. This is not very important yet.

Walked on quite a bit further, through the next villiage and back into the fields by the river. Field 2 (as it shall be known) had some cows at the other end. Wouldn't have been a problem but they were blocking the gate to Field 3. The dog would normally find her way around the cows on her own, keeping a more than repectable distance so as not to cause problems; therefore I made my way very carefully through the herd, through the gate and into Field 3, where there were more cows. Again, not a problem as the adjacent field was empty and the dog could get into that without any cow trouble.

For some reason the dog decided to remain resolutely in Field 2, not going round as expected. I was trying to whistle to her to go round but she instead chose to sit. The cows did not, and decided to investigate me. I remained calm, moving slowly and not causing any problem until my friend from London rang to arrange details of a trip to Manchester we are planning. So I was trying to call to the dog, who had decided to start attracting the cows' attentions; also to navigate my way through the herd and also hold a conversation with my friend.

In the end I just had the conversation with my friend, by the end of this the cows had got bored and moved off allowing the dog free passage. She really doesn't help me sometimes!!!!

Otherwise it was an uneventful night.

No comments: