I had to go to a work 'do' last night.
I'm not a fan of extra-employment activities. I prefer a work-life balance: I do my work, and then I live my life. And spending, as I do, over 12 hours of the five days I work engaged in work or the commute, I feel I commit enough of my time to work. Therefore when work seeks to ingress further into my own time, I am more than reluctant to submit.
I felt obligated on this occasion. It was billed not so much as a social occasion (and believe me, the people I work with are not people with whom I would choose to socialise) but as a team-building yet fun evening. Hmmm. Anyhow, the suggestion was very strongly put to me that I would be seen as an at-best-reluctant, and maybe even resistant member of the team. So yes, I was blackmailed in all but name.
I was further hampered in my avoidance strategy by the organisation of my employer. On a previous occasion I was able to escape the commitment on the basis that the location was not just inconvenient, but practically impossible. On another arrangement the timing was unsuitable, meaning I wouldn't have gotten home until the very early morning. And they also gave me such sufficient notice that I could not olead prior engagement.
They really had thought of almost anything.
My frustrations were compounded further by the non-appearance of a single Office-Fitty. Previously I have waxed about the Train-Fitty. The Office-Fitty is the same phenomenon translocated to the office. So my cloud didn't even have that silver lining.
Ah well, at least it was a free meal. And one of the benefits of hob-nobbing with the execs is that they are the ones holding the free booze vouchers. The only way to reduce friction or resistance is indeed to ensure sufficient lubrication. And, of course, you are incredibly present and noticeable as a team-player.
No comments:
Post a Comment