Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Morning After....

Why does it take so long for people to reply to a text? Particularly an important text that could have the weight of the world attached to it? Or at least the weight of an average-sized apple.

Well, last night didn't go too badly after all. We just did dinner - neither of us had reviewed the film synopses or times and by the time we had finished dinner it is highly likely that the films would have started (I did hold a judgement that I thought timeliwise it would be difficult to achieve both tasks). Further, we just wanted a chat and a drink.

Dinner was very nice - Thai. I had something with duck in. Amusingly, pork is 'moo' in Thai. You would think it would be 'oink' or that 'moo' would be beef. Chicken was 'gai'. Tee hee hee. Unfortunately it does mean I am producing some pretty nasty gases today, but what's new. It took us quite a while to actually order because we just talked and talked and talked. That is good. Often with new people I can be too nervous to talk much, but we chatted away merrily and I was able to be funny without being offensive. Well, too offensive. And it was good.

There were also no commentes about my haircut.

I cut my own hair - I have done so for the last ten years or so. I bought a pair of clippers which cost the same amount as a haircut, and since then I have saved myself the cost of between two and four haircuts a year. That could be anything up to the value of a night on the tiles! And I have gradually gotten better at doing it. But somehow, regardless of how good I get and despite the amount of time I take on the haircut, there are always some problems. One haircut it was a particuarly sizeable amount of hair accidentally removed from around the ears. More usually it is a patch which I have missed leaving me with longer hair there, or a wonky fringe. This time it was both, although I did start cutting the hair at around 10:30pm after a few cans of lager under not-the-most-startling of lights. And the day before my first ever client presentation and a few days before a date probably wasn't the most sensible of timings.

We didn't really get chance to snog though. That disappoints a little. There is nothing quite like a good snog. We had a quick kiss goodbye, but couldn't really prolong it as we were in the street and there were some ruffians hanging around and neither of us particularly has a perchant for being duffed up.

On an entertaining point, during the evening he rubbed his nose quite a bit. This set me off - you can never quite tell if it is that they have a twitch, or if they are trying to tell you that you have something on your nose and to rub it off. So I rubbed my nose. Well, that set off a vicious cycle - my rub would inspire him to rub his nose, which got me rubbing my nose and was only stopped when I went to the toilet and whilst in there used the mirror to ascertain that there was, in fact, nothing wrong with my nose.

Anyhow, I then got home and sent a nice, polite "thanks for a nice evening, hope you got back ok" text.

Nothing.

Not last night, and not this morning.

What does that mean? That it didn't go as well as I thought? That I was being given not just the cold-shoulder, but a positive freeze-out? Was I really that offensive? Surprisingly for me I didn't get stalkerish about it, sending a text when I woke up at 5:27 (for some reason I woke during the night and turned off my 5:30 alarm thinking it was the weekend; but luckily woke up early enough anyway) enquiring as to whether he was dead, or offended, or in bed with someone else?

Maybe I had been that offensive. Maybe I had been 'nice enough but not for me' or 'nice enough but not right now' and it was just taking time to soften the blow. Maybe his mobile had run out of battery. Or gotten lost. Or gotten stolen. Or maybe as he was walking back to his car a minor tremor occured and opened up a fissure in the earth into which he accidentally dropped it whilst looking in to see how deep it was. Or maybe he was walking back and a giant bird of prey swooped down and carried him off to an area with no mobile phone signal.

Anyhow, eventually I did get a reply just before lunch apologising for the delay (!) and being nice and chatty again. Who knows, maybe I might even get asked on a second date. Now that would be a first.

Now, I really should reply to that text I got an hour or so ago...

No comments: