Monday, October 03, 2011

Smitten

So, I suspect you're practically bursting with excitement today: did I go on the date? Did I have sex? And made even worse by missing a missive on Friday, too.

I had every intention of writing on Friday. I had a topic thought of and content to go with it. But then the day turned out to be one of 'those' days.

I dozed off on the morning train. This isn't a particularly unusual experience. What is unusual is that I normally either doze very lightly if at all; or that I have the foresight to set my alarm. There was a failure on both levels on this occasion; hence why I gradually regained consciousness as the train pulled out of my destination station and I then had to get off at the next station; sleepily cross to the other platform and await the next train back; eventually arriving at the office an hour late.

But don't tell my work colleagues that: they think that the train staff didn't turn up for work.

All this makes the eventual turn of events towards the pleasant, all the more surprising. Usually when a day starts off badly like that it doesn't get better. But it did. I got out of the office on time and home in my usual routine; the fish and chips from the new place were nice (fish was lovely, chips slightly underdone) and I had time for a nice doze on the sofa before getting ready to go out. Now, this was Friday night; not my date which was on Saturday night.

Let me take you back in time... You may recall that when I split up from my last proper boyfriend I did so in the slightly indignified manner by snogging someone else. You may also recall that I snogged this boy again when I was down in London. For ease of understanding we shall keep his moniker as 'Break-Me-Up-Boy.

Well, he is now back in town full time having started uni here. And he was out on Friday night. And I bumped into him almost immediately. And by the end of the night we were back at mine making sweet, sweet love. And yes, I think I am slightly smitten with him. Not only down to the fact that our passion has finally been requited after many months of absence (without the usual disappointment where I have built up expectations); but also because he ticks every single box that I look for.

We'll have to see whether or not it goes any further - knowing my luck he will probably be very similar to me: either due to the fact that we have now been together he will lose interest; or alternatively he will be disappointed that I haven't lived up to his high expectations engendered by the delay and seek solice elsewhere.

Anyway, that was Friday night; and with those thoughts still coursing through my head I probably shouldn't have gone on the date on Saturday night. I wasn't really concentrating. Well, that's actually not fair - I was concentrating; I had just cemented even further my pre-date concerns that he just wasn't right for me. In fact we actually seemed to aggravate each other, though I don't think his had any malicious intent, but purely to curry conversation.

In fairness, I wasn't malicious with my comments, I think I was just using them to reinforce my decision that we weren't right. And it did ferment good, polite, involved discussion, though on many occasions I was playing Devil's Advocate rather than actually expressing my own opinion. We discussed art and philsophy and psychology, although he was slightly obsessed with the Milgram Experiment and seemed to believe that we always operated under pressure either from an individual or from peer pressure to conform with instruction (whether express or convention).

Annoyingly, he seems not to have picked up on the signs I was giving off. That or he did and just sought to dismiss them, hoping beyond hope to make something where there is nothing. In fact there isn't just a 'nothing' but quite specifically something else distracting my attentions. Anyhow, I have already received a request for another date - that would be date 4 and something pretty much unheard of without some sort of decision as to whether we are 'going with'. I have dealt with this by responding about everything else in the text except for the question of the date, hoping that it will disappear into the ether. I wouldn't mind if he wants to meet up purely as friends for scintilating conversation; however he doesn't go the places I like to go, and I think there will always be The Great Unmentionned in that he actually wants me naked.

So in short, the answers were yes. Yes I did go on the date; yes I did have sex...just not with the person I went on the date with.

No comments: