Thursday, October 20, 2011

Ready... steady...

For a man who doesn't like dating, I certainly end up doing quite a bit of it!

I have another tonight. This is an iDate, but not with the person I went on three dates with. Someone new. Someone ginger...if the photo is to be believed.

It's not my fault. I like listenening to Gaydar Radio and I am lazy. The easiest way for me without typing it in - lazy, one-handed mouse using - is simply to click the down arrow on the address bar, select Gaydar and click login. It has my username and password saved so my fingers do not need to touch the keyboard at all. Yes, I could simply save the Gaydar Radio link as a favourite bookmark and click on it, but the way I do it I also get to check my messages. Otherwise I am a relatively 'passive' user - leaving myself logged in but not actually exploring the site (this is the only way in which I am 'passive' on the site!) This shows me as online, which encourages more people to message me a) because the site promotes my page (what with it being more active than non-logged in pages); and b) people think they have more chance of receiving a response. I do say 'think'.

The vast majority of messages I receive on the site take one of three formats:
  • Hey! How are you?
Occasionally this is expanded with 'what are you up to tonight' or 'good day?'
  • Nice profile/pics
This can be combined with the first to give almost a substantial message.
  • Got any cock pics?
I probably do have somewhere in the dusty regions of my computer, but I sure as heck am not sharing them around, let alone over an unsecure connection with a stranger. That's how your computer gets infected with something nasty (though possibly one of the least painful STIs) and you end up being the penis of Brad Pitt or George Clooney in some very badly doctored pictures. That or you get to think about some fat, dirty, old man posing as an young Italian stallion 'enjoying' himself in a tiny, grubby maisonette in the short amount of time he has between finishing his meal-for-one beef dinner and Eastenders starting.

Anyhow, as a result it is rare for me to respond. If they are not going to take the time and effort to think of something witty or unique (or at the very least demonstrate you have spent more than a millisecond reading the details on my profile page) then I am not going to bother responding. And in the modern day and age that is not particularly rude.

Anyhow, so it was that I received a message off of some chap going into quite some detail about the various entries on my profile, asking insightful questions about me, very properly introducing himself and most politely wishing me a good day. Oh, and attaching a reasonably decent picture. Of his face. Well, if someone goes to that effort, it is only polite of me to respond. And so it is that the date is to occur.

Anyhow, enough with the whys and wherefores; that was not the reason for the post.

Even though the date was on Thursday, I have been having to make various arrangements from Monday (when I was very politely 'reminded' that I had the date as otherwise I was going around rather ignorant of the fact I had agreed to it previously). For example:
Food
Because the date was to be a drink, Thursday evening food would need to be a rather quick affair. This usually involves some pasta or rice with some sort of pre-made (by me) sauce from the freezer. As I had problems and the freezer defrosted a few weeks ago, I have not had the opportunity to make many such sauces; therefore a very simple pasta sauce will be needed. So Thursday is pasta day. That means that Wednesday could not be.
 I was to be out Wednesday night; so that would be takeaway - probably chicken with fries. Potato for the carbs - good, different - but that meant that Tuesday could be neither chicken for the substance of dinner; nor potato for the carbs.
So... Tuesday was to be pizza with spicy pork on it. Good. But that meant that Monday could not be bread-based carbs; nor pork-based meat.
Mondays generally tend to be fish days because I get to go shopping on a Monday so can pick up some reasonably fresh fish. Potato was now back available; so I had fish with grilled mash cakes and some vegetables.
And then there is prepping the salads for the week's lunches. Usually these get done the night before; however being out on Wednesday night and very pushed with the small amount of time on Thursday meant that the three salads for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday would need making on Tuesday. However I would not be going home on Friday so would just grab something from the supermarket; meaning I only had to make two salads on Tuesday. But it's still an additional job for the Tuesday night which brings me onto...
Jobs
Again, because I was losing an evening, my usual jobs needed to be shuffled around. However this was made even worse: I wasn't just losing one evening but two! AND there were more jobs than usual in this week's schedule. The week was bathroom-clean-week and it did need to be done - it oughtened be left for another week. But it was also bed-change-week which was delayed from the previous week. AND there was ironing to do as I only had shirts up to Thursday. So the things that would normally be spread over four nights were contracted into two. But successfully.
Clothes
As I was going out straight from work on Wednesday I needed to take suitable clothing with me to work - jeans and a t-shirt - but get changed at work in such a manner (well, at five-to-five and then hide in the toilet until I was sure they had gone) that my team would not notice. But it also couldn't be the same clothes as I wanted to wear Thursday night on the basis of taste and decency. And they couldn't be the same as Friday night either. So I needed to ensure I didn't accidentally wear Friday's clothes on Wednesday or any of the other incorrect combinations.
Shopping
I have the potential to shop on three days because of how my lunch falls - Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Friday I was going out straight from work and wouldn't have the opportunity to drop anything at home; and the same was true on Wednesday. So any shopping I did on Wednesday had to be non-perishable so that I could bring it back on Thursday. But it couldn't be much - I didn't want to get sweaty lugging it home.

So, you can see how many things have to go into consideration, and why I had to start planning on Monday. A similar situation occurred a few weeks ago when I had an interview. Obviously I didn't want to announce this at work (it's not really the done thing, even if you don't get on with your work colleagues and want to get away from them as soon as possible, say) but it was on a Thursday afternoon. So, I had to start at the beginning of the week giving reasons for having to leave early. Fortunately it was this week that my freezer decided to defrost itself and I was able in the same breath as espouging my problems with it to claim my Thursday afternoon was being spent with an engineer.

And then there was the dress: I obviously had to wear a smart suit, whereas usually I am just in plain black trousers. So I would have to take the suit jacket and bag with me in a bag. But then I didn't want to be taking a big bag with me, so I had to take the suit jacket in the day before and tuck it discretely away in my locker. Then all I had to do was wear the suit trousers all week to avoid any attention to wearing considerably smarter trousers on the Thursday - again, my older, less smart trousers were 'in the wash after I spilled something down them'. And similar with my very smart shoes - they had to go to work the day before so that they didn't get dirty walking round in them until I was on my way to the interview.

But then my plans were thrown into disarray when they rearranged the interview for the Friday. Fridays are dress-down days. How was I going to explain going into work in a suit? Well I wouldn't. I would have the jacket and tie in the bag hidden from Wednesday, and merely wear my trousers and shirt as though I had 'forgotten' - which I genuinely could of as the Monday had been a bank holiday.

And again this impacted on my shopping. If the interview had been on Thursday, all well and good. But on the Friday I wouldn't be able to shop; and I was already losing Monday as a shopping day as it was a bank holiday and I was not in at work; so all of the shopping - including the beer for the weekend - had to be done on the Wednesday.

So you can see why I have to be organised about these things and make my lists and my plans.

Well, that and I enjoy it!

No comments: