So, I'm nesting at the moment. Still. I've been at it for a few weeks now.
Nesting can take a number of forms. To some people, nesting is merely a case of a good tidy-up. To some others it involves essentially a deep, spring-style clean; and at its most extreme involves a whole-life clear-out. I am somewhere between the latter two.
It started as a good tidy, only the tidy was frustrated by the fact that the places I was trying to tidy stuff to were already filled with stuff; and that once tidy, the rooms still weren't clean.
The reasons for wanting a good tidy are probably four-fold
End of summer
Having been away so much over summer there are many, many little bits and bobs which have been put to one side - or happen to have fallen by the wayside - until I have had the time to do them.
Christmas is coming
And not just Christmas. Having a birthday a week before Christmas and New Year the week after Christmas means a fortnight of celebration and relaxation. Combine that with all the special preparation that the season involves and I really do need to be on top of my usual jobs.
It's Autumn
Not much happens in Autumn. Between September and December there is only Halloween and Bonfire night. And they are neither bank holidays nor fun unless you are a child or a parent. And so I have the time to do these things. Particularly as everyone is reigning in the spending ready for the festive celebrations.
I'm frustrated
Add to all of this my usual mood fluctations, and my frustration at being stuck in a job I'd rather be out of and in a house I'd rather be out of and in a general situation of enuii, I need to a) do what I can to distract myself from my frustations that I am unable to relieve or do anything about and; b) I need to convince myself that I am doing what I can about the things that I can, readying them should my situation change.
So, the kitchen has been scrubbed. The oven was dismantled last week and ever molecule of dried or burned food in there scoured off (much the chargrin of my fingertips); the fridge and the freezer have been defrosted, emptied, cleaned, and reconstituted; the hob taken to pieces and again subjected to the most astonishing processes it has ever known. The bathroom has had all the little jobs done like fitting the magnetic catches on the cupboard doors, the toilet seat and brush replaced and such like. And the garden has all the finishing touches and prepping for winter sorted (including the removal of a few bushes and trees which wasn't strictly necessary before winter but they were annoying me.)
And finally there has been the selling. I've had bits and bobs kicking around for ages which have novelty value or a feint memory or may, possibly, at some stage in the future have some sort of use. And of course they have no value to me, no memory or use, they are just cluttering up the house on the basis that I just can't throw anything away: I need to hoard. I don't need the money from selling them; I don't need the space they create; but I don't need the items either (and at the back of my mind it is less to pack should I need to dash off in a hurry).
And at least I've fixed that floorboard which was, quite frankly, a deathtrap even on the lighter mornings, let alone now it is dark.
No comments:
Post a Comment