Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Terrible Tuesday

You know when you are having one of those days when it is probably better just to stay in bed?

And yet it started so well: I got up not just in time but substantially early. It was to be my first Tuesday back jogging after the summer hiatus because of three- and four-day weeks making it difficult to jog and transport shopping around.

Not only was I up early enough to do the jogging, but I was up so early that I could put the washing out as well.

Now, I should have known it was going to be a bad day. It was, after all a Tuesday. But I was all optimistic. So off I trotted to the train station.

Now, getting the early train isn't great. Not only do I not see the faces I recognise, but there are, for some inexplicable reason fewer train fitties. I don't know why. And it's a shame because I made the effort with my hottest looking shorts and everything.

So, already facing a very long day at work - arriving at the office a good 40 minutes earlier than normal so I could shower - it was also the busiest day at work in a long time. With one member of the team off, it increased the work on the remaining two of us and it appeared - though I actually don't think it was true - that my other colleague was shirking as much work as possible.

Then I didn't get to have my lunch. We had a "webinar" (a web-seminar, though in reality it was more of a webture, a web-lecture) over lunch and then generally were too busy. And I am also making my point to my colleague that I actually do work considerably harder than anyone else on the team.

So it got to the end of an exhausting day and I went off to get changed into my shorts, only to emerge from the office into rain which - although already substantial - deteriorated (or improved, if you are considering the performance from the rain's point of view) even further so that I was saturated by the time I got to the train station.

To find the train was running late.

Late enough to miss my connection.

And again, no train fitties

I did eventually get back. To find the washing dripping happily away on the line.

And with lots of other little niggles that is how the night went on - jobs that should have taken a few moments ended up taking half-an-hour, like fixing the magnetic catches on the bathroom cupboard which refused to attach, and then refused to catch. Eventually - around 10:30 - I gave up and decided that I was just going to iron a few shirts and then head to bed.

Which is when I decided to reach for the soleplate of the iron instead of the handle. Awesome.

No comments: