Every few months work has an 'off-site' meeting. Basically what happens is they hire a room in a hotel - a big conference type room, not just a bedroom - and around thirty of us senior managers are expected to attend. We are supposed to be analysing the business to identify training requirements; where the business can adapt and evolve; and how the business can better communicate with the proles. We spend the day 'brainstorming'; 'thinking outside the box'; 'blu-sky thinking' and 'pushing the envelope' along with any of the other most recent fad management-speak phrases.
Lovely.
In reality for me it means that I spend a day out of the office, therefore creating a backlog of work, whilst my underlings believe I'm off on a jolly day away with no work to do. And it has such little relevance on my work anyway, not just because I have a very small team resistive to change; but mostly because nothing gets implemented from the meetings.
But at least it is a free lunch.
No comments:
Post a Comment