Tuesday, May 01, 2012

A tiny glimmer....

So, I'm back!

I will post about the trip away in due course, but for now it is enough that I am functioning.

And I have had to persevere. It has not been an easy day by any means.

Yesterday I arrived back from my round-the-world trip, today I was at work.

So, yes, there was the usual post-holiday come-down after doing the unpacking last night.

But I arrived back from a lovely sunny day in California where I got sunburned cycling over the Golden Gate Bridge to a cold, grey, drizzling Britain.

But that's not the worst of it.

Not only was the weather horrible, I got to the train station to find that industrial action meant my usual train was cancelled and I was therefore going to be just over an hour late for work. Considering as I had gone to considerable length to ensure my jetlag didn't cause me to oversleep and miss my train this was frustrating.

Add to this that my massive excitement tonight involves taking the washing machine apart as last night it started to make a terrible noise and cause a slight burning smell to permeate the house. But at least I managed to do one load of washing.

Not that it will dry, because of the rain.

And, of course, I have spent quite a bit on holiday so could do without spending any more on a washing machine, partucularly as I already have to buy a new phone because my current one - which has long been problematic - is currently only working because a wad of paper inserted into the cover is pressing the SIM card onto the contacts, a casualty of a slip from a rather small bed in a hostel in Hong Kong.

Still, there is a glimmer, faint though it is. It is only a four-day-week for me because the holiday encroached slightly, and there is a long weekend followed by another four-day-week next week because of a bank holiday.

And, of course, there is the joy of getting a new phone tomorrow.

Hopefully.

No comments: