So, the house is up for
sale.
It’s all happening.
But how did we get here?
You may recall, that
“doing the house up” was one of the major reasons for the slippage of “London
by Thirty” to “London by Thirty Five” was because of the house. So, what did I
do?
Well, I bought the house
in December 2005. The first three months were intense…
There were rotten floor
joists and floorboards in the lounge and hallway. These needed replacing. There
was actually a significant amount of flooring taken up and then laid. In order
to prevent any further rotting, I had to install a number of additional air
bricks. To do this I had to deconstruct a “summer room” on the North side of
the house – an asbestos, glass and wood structure constructed on a thick
concrete base which covered where the air bricks were needed and breached the
damp-proof course. Then the kitchen and the workroom (a little room downstairs
which was to be an office) had solid floors which needed a bitumen damp-proof
treatment.
In addition the actual damp-proof
course needed wax treatment re-proofing. This involved removing the lower
levels of plaster all around the ground floor including removing and eventually
refitting the kitchen units; and then replastering with a proper damp resistive
plaster. As well as having to remove the kitchen units, this also involved
removing the downstairs shower room suite; leaving the house with no usable
toilet, sink or shower.
Needless to say, I was
still living at my parents throughout this time; however I set myself a rather
arbitrary date of the Easter of 2006 to move in. I say arbitrary, obviously
when you have a van to move furniture it needs to be completed as quickly as
possible; and a long weekend like Easter is the best time to sort and settle.
Anyhow, to achieve this I
needed floors to walk on in the lounge; a kitchen to cook in; and a bathroom in
which to wash. Whilst the kitchen was reasonably decent enough to be
reinstalled, the shower suite was not – and was also downstairs. I hated this.
So I decided to convert the smallest of the three bedrooms into an upstairs
bathroom and install the most basic of bathroom suites alongside some
additional plumbing that was required to replace an ancient immersion tank.
Anyway, costs and time were both so short that I moved in to a house with an
ancient but useable kitchen with patches of wallpaper, plaster and exposed
brick walls; a lounge which had patches with all of the previous fifteen styles
of redecoration visible and a bathroom fitted against bare plaster walls without
a cupboard concealing the tank. Very, very basic.
From hereon after (until
things accelerate later) generally I only worked on the house in late autumn,
winter and early spring. The reason for this is three-fold. Firstly, there was
a very well established garden which took a considerable amount of time to
maintain and change; secondly, I travel around a lot more over the summer so
have less time at home for significant projects; and finally, despite the
travelling around, it was useful to spend the summer saving as much money as
possible for the next project.
2006-7
After the previous year,
things went a little quiet this year. I saved up to buy the shower tray,
cubicle and fitting for the stand-alone shower that I had planned for when
arranging the rest of the bathroom; but it couldn’t be fitted until I could
afford the tiles and remainder of the bathroom materials. I started in the
bedroom that I wasn’t using as a bedroom, stripping the paper off. This pulled
off significant amounts of perished plaster, meaning that I needed to remove
all of the plaster.
2007-8
The windows throughout
the house were all double glazed with the exception of the kitchen which had
four windows. My brother was having work done on his house which necessitated
the replacement of three of his windows, which pretty much perfectly replaced
three of them in my kitchen – one of the existing windows disappeared behind a
worktop which was always entertaining when a can of tomatoes rolled down the
back; the replacement required the wall building up nicely to the same level as
the worktop. My parents bought me the fourth window as a joint birthday and
Christmas present. So this season was spent replacing those windows; as well as
finishing off the “free” work in the spare bedroom (i.e. the work that didn’t
cost any money).
2008-9
This year the porch
rotted through and the door fell off onto me (I might’ve had a drink). This
meant that the front door needed replacing – and I might as well do the back
door at the same time. I had come into some money this year as I had had my
face smashed in whilst walking home by some people that didn’t like the look of
me. I used this money to replace both doors as well as the huge patio door and
window combination that had previously access the “sun room”.
2009-10
This year I could actually afford to buy the tiles for the bathroom. So, this involved the construction of the immersion tank / airing cupboard; installation of the stand-alone shower (bought back in 2006-7, remember that?), doing the lighting, painting and ... eventually ... tiling of the bathroom (including the construction of a rather nifty hinged panel to the bath to allow storage underneath). This meant (just 4 and a half years after buying the house) THAT THE FIRST ROOM WAS DONE.
2010-11
Having chipped all of the plaster off and done all the 'free' work in the spare bedroom, and only having to buy tiles, paint and a few bits of electrics the previous year, this year I could sort the spare bedroom out. Doesn't sound much does it - after all, the plaster was already chipped off? As with me, nothing is ever simple. Take the lighting. After the bathroom used GU10 LED spots, I decided I might as well use the same throughout the house, for a number of reasons. Firstly, they last a LONG time. Secondly, they are VERY energy efficient. But thirdly, and perhaps critically, I recall my parents above-the-toilet cupboards. They contained the electric meter, old rechargeable batteries, a supply of candles (though this was the most difficult cupboard to negotiate in the event of a power cut) and every type of bulb you could imagine. Most of the rooms took a standard bayonette fit; although the sitting room and one of the bedroom took the larger of the Edison screw fittings. The kitchen bulbs were totally different. And then, amongst the bayonette bulbs, some rooms had 40W, some 60 and some 100Watts (ask your parents). At any one time in the cupboard there could be well in excess of two dozen bulbs. Not me.
But, the spot-type nature of the bulbs meant there needed to be a dozen fittings (there would have been only ten had the joists been better spaced). But, as I was doing this I might as well make it my own. So the two spots above the head-end of where the bed would go became reading lights, each controllable from their own side of the bed, but also from the door (to save me having to walk over to the bed if I had left them on). So, we had twelve lamps on three circuits, each circuit having two switches (the main lights were also controllable from one side of the bed).
Then there are the electrics. The room previously only had one double socket - clearly inadequate in this day and age. And so now it has five doubles, all ideally located, all requiring either wiring running down from the loft, or under the floorboards. Oh, and chipping into the brickwork. Which, if you've ever had to do this by hand, you will realise how physically and time demanding this is.
And then you have to re-lay the flooring. And get a plasterer in. I was tempted to turn my hand to plastering, but EVERYONE that I spoke to said if there is one thing I need to get a professional in for it is the plastering (note how they didn't comment when I was doing the electrics myself).
And then paint. With this being my to-be-bedroom (at least for the time being) I wanted it really nice. Nice was white ceilings, a creamy beige ("Cappucino") on the walls, and then a feature wall with the basic cappucino background but then a lot of red and brown stripes. It looks good, believe me.
2011-12
Well,
I now had a nice bathroom and - MOST IMPORTANTLY - a refuge. The
'spare' bedroom was now my bedroom proper. It was clean, it was
decorated, it was where I could LIVE. Next room to do was the big
lounge. I say 'big lounge' as though I have so many lounges I have to
differentiate. But what I cannot emphasis enough is how big it is - a
full front-to-back lounge. Yes, if you've got a long gallery like
Hardwick Hall it's perhaps a little different, but for me this was a big
lounge.
I
still remember back to the hell of being a kid with my parents and how
long it took them to do the lounge up. I don't mean hell of being with
my parents - anyone who knows me will tell you how much I love them and
respect them; but the lounge at their house was a very,very major room;
it was a throughfare as well, and it took them around three years to
make it habitable.
But,
as I'd now managed to move out of the 'big' master bedroom, I could now
turn that into a lounge - albeit a temporary one. The sofas went
upstairs as did the big tv. And, in fact, all spare furniture. It was a
busy room. That, alongside my busy winter, probably explains why I spent
little time in there.
My
lounge was big; but a lot of the work had been done back in those
initial three months - remember the chipping off of the lower levels of
plaster to do the damp-proofing? The replacement of a significant amount
of floorboards? The replacement of the patio doors? Well, all that his
room required was the chipping off of all of the rest of the plaster,
tidying up of a significant amount of the flooring that hadn't been
replaced, all of the electrics (fortunately with most of this I had been
sensible and planned it whilst the floorboards were up and laid the
wiring) and chipping in the electric boxes (hadn't been quite so
sensible and most of these had been free-hanging from he wall). Then
there was the lighting. This would have been SIGNIFICANTLY easier if I
had done it before finishing the flooring in the bedroom - again, I was
using GU10 downlighters, but again - this being me - there wasn't just a
main light, but two, and also four spots around the side to provide a
less bright, more sedate environment (for Friday nights just watching
movies when you want to concentrate on the movie) and two double
switches - one as you entered the room, and another conveniently placed
next to the edge of the sofa. These spots caused the problem. With one
in each corner, there was no way I could avoid having to drill through
some joists; almost all of which were either under the already-tiled
bathroom floor, or the already-carpetted bedroom floor. So a lot of the
ceiling had to come off.
Once
that was done, obviously everything else was easy - all I had to do was
get the plastering done, sand down the massive expanse of floorboards
that there was, vacuum, wash and clean it all down, spend a good week
staining a LOT of wood, spend even more than a week varnishing the
floor, painting the room, painting and, eventually,
buying that sofa that finished the room. Oh, and then the finishing bits
- curtains and stuff. It's a room.
2012-13
Well, having finished the loung the previous year, there wasn't much to do unless I wanted to start on the kitchen - realistically that was the next room to do - it was a biggy, and therefore needed all of my saving. But, whilst I had been able to move into the lounge there was still a niggle - the alcove. My piano occupied one; the other was vacant. I wanted shelves in there. They would look nice, classy, and they would provide me with much needed storage for my books. So - albeit minor - that was this year's job whilst I saved as much money as I could. But I did it, I bought the wood, I stained it, I fitted it, I filled it. And it looks lovely.
2013-14
This
was another year where I took a bit of a back-step. Having completed
the lounge and moved in down there, I just needed a year off. And,
again, when you look how much these things cost, I probably spent over
£100 in sanding belts on the lounge floor alone, then there was the
stain, the varnish, the plaster, the paint. Whilst the lighting was not
expensive individually, accumulatively it cost ver £100. And that's
before you consider how much a reel of cabling costs. That's not cheap. I
know the paint is cheap, bright white - it's £20 a tub. But that's four
tubs worth. The shelves cost in excess of £100 in pure wood and
fittings (there's actually a lot of battening). And then there's a £600
sofa. And do you know how much curtains are? Over a hunderd quid when
you look at the length you need for that room. And the poles. There's a
lot goes on, so a bit of a fallow year was needed. That said, it wasn't
entirely fallow. I started chipping off the plaster in the big bedroom -
by now, any furniture that needed returning to the lounge was back down
there, anything that wasn't wanted had gone to a homeless charity.
2014-15
GO GO GO! at this point I had my new job. This meant new money.
New, significant money. Which meant that I could get that most major,
most expensive of jobs done - the kitchen. I had saved heartily (helped
by the previous 'cheap' year) and over the summer got quotes such that
at the end of September they started fitting. In order to keep costs to a
minimum, I did a significant amount of preparation and finishing work
myself. So, whilst the kitchen was on order the old one got stripped
out. I then set to removing all of the old plaster ahead of the
plasterers coming in. The plasterers plastered, the fitters fitted.
Whilst they were doing this, I worked up in the big bedroom on the
lighting and electrics (having by now finished stripping off the
plaster). I then painted, tiled, grouted, sealed and laid the kitchen
floor, as well as doing the skirting, architrave and general
woodworkery. Whilst I worked downstairs, the plasterer plastered the big bedroom.
And so, immediately that I finished the kitchen, I was straight on to the big bedroom, doing the painting, woodwork and getting the carpet fitted. Again, I painted more than I needed to - the stripes returned.
And then the last room to do was the hall and landing. This was the worst room. You can't avoid the dust and the much and the filth. Much though you try not to tread it into the refuge that is your bedroom, it gets there. And, worse still, if you are keeping floorboards (indeed, naked but stained stairs) then the whole idea of staining and varnishing them - when you are supposed to leave it two hours before walking on it, but need to walk on it to get upstairs - is impossible for someone who only gets home at 7pm. But I worked hard on this room - I had to. I knew that sanding the floorboards and stairs irritated my neighbour, so I had to crack on with that and get it over with as quickly as possible, but with the number of stairs, and bits (banister, ballustraids, treads, backboards, sides and the actually floorboards at the bottom) this still took a good few weeks. Electrics and lighting were all sorted (well, aside from simply swapping light fittings over - I say simply, it still took a full evening to do both), so it was technically just staining and varnishing the floors, getting the plasterer in then painting the walls and those few finishing touches.
And as a final point to the whole thing - finishing touches take evenings. It can be tiny bits of filler, little bits of stain you had missed, painting where the masking tape pulled off the paint - it all takes time. Evenings here, there - when you have just three or four a week, and only a couple of weekends a month at home, that's why things take so long.
As well as the cost.
But it's done - moving on.










1 comment:
Think of it, all of it, the spotlights in all the right places, the falling down door, the sanding into the night annoying the neighbours, and above all the stripes the stripes the STRIPES, as a practice run for your at-35 London home...or you might now be able to afford to get a team of burly mans in to get it done in a fortnight whilst you do Paris and Rome...
Post a Comment