We all have them, don’t we – the friends
who always pull the same face. You know the types – I’ve got many of them in my
feeds.
There’s the chap who always pulls
the wonky, slightly quizzical look that scrunches the nose up on one side as if
he’s asking “do you know what I mean?”
There’s the one whose eyebrows
are raised with eyes almost popping out, mouth open in a slightly-astonished
smile, as though someone’s just stuck their finger up his bum for the first
time but he’s actually quite enjoying it.
There’s the one who’s always got
a slight scowl on his face and you can tell he’s going to be one of those pissy
little queens who is always complaining about everything but particularly his
lot in life and how it’s so unfair and why do bad things always happen to him
(he’ll be one of those vigilantes who is outraged at everything).
Obviously there is the one who
always pouts, the other who is so desperately quirky they always stick their tongue
out of the corner of their mouth.
And then there’s the one who is
very pretty and has a lovely but very plain and very repetitive smile – one that
makes him seem dead behind the eyes. Always the same, head ever-so-slightly
cocked to one side.
And that is part of the problem –
I become immune. Because the expression is always the same it comes across as
staged, painted. I wonder if they walk round like that all the time just in
case they happen to be in the background of a photo.
Now, let me accept first that I’m
no oil painting. I struggle with photos because I don’t like my face. My teeth
are horrible for a start. I was born with too small a mouth (no jokes please)
and they are all a bit squashed in, so I don’t like opening my mouth to smile
in photos. This automatically makes my smile less genuine, and it’s difficult
to imbue “smile” in the eyes without opening the mouth. Then there is my
receding hairline and that my ears disappear, the fact that my beard/stubble is
never at an optimum length and I can never get clothes to fit me because of my
ridiculous proportions.
I’m very self-deprecating. Other
people like the way I look; and yes I hear those saying those in glass houses
shouldn’t throw stones. But I’m not throwing stones at the way they look, I’m
throwing it at the pose.
I also have to realise that –
just as with myself – a LOT of people do not have body/image confidence. They
don’t like having their photo taken at all, so I suppose I should at least give
credit that they have at least managed to find their ‘photo face’ that they are
happy. However this paragraph doesn’t really apply to the people I’m talking
about with the pose. After all, the reason that I have noticed this as a
problem is due to the propensity of photos – usually selfies – that they have
posted.
I just want a bit of variety. I
think what I really want is them to post fewer posed photos and more
spontaneous ones – more of them actually enjoying what they are doing rather
than stopping to post of photo of them only appearing to enjoy what they are
doing.
But then this is coming from the
man with a picture camera – always the taker, never the subject.
No comments:
Post a Comment