So, yesterday I went swimming for the first time in two years.
And it was an early morning swim - as soon as the pool opened
Should be lovely, shouldn’t it? After all, I can swim. I used to do it regularly.
Only
I got worked up.
I got worked up for a number of reasons – what if I
missed my alarm? What if it was too busy? What if I mis-calculated the
time I had to get out and had to rush for or miss my train? What about
the actual swimming – what if I was too slow, or had forgotten how to do
it? What if I had an incident and nearly drowned? What if I took my
clothes off and was ugly?
Of course, none of this came to
pass. I got up on time, was well organised, arrived at the pool 5
minutes before it opened, changed efficiently, picked the correct lane,
swam appropriately fast, did my 100 lengths well in time without even a
cough or splutter, got out and made it to the train well in time. And
yet I’m intending on doing the same tomorrow and already I’m anxious.
You
will recall that I used to lunchrun? My million metre target. Almost
every day for 20 months I did this, almost every day for 20 months I got
anxious at around 12:50. Similar anxiety – that I would take too long
getting changed, not give myself enough time to run, that I’d look
silly. I mean, for goodness sake – I ran on my own around reasonably
secluded lakes, if I suffered any anxiety it should have been that I’d
do myself a mischief and not be found for three days.
This
morning I received a phone call from a withheld number. I was tempted
to just let it go to answerphone; but that’s how it wins, how it gets
worse. So – nervously – I answered. It was only my doctor giving me the
phone number of the hospital for me to make an appointment. That will be
a phone call which will give me anxiety when I have to make it – I’ve
already put it off for 2 hours. What will I say? What if it’s not the
correct department? What if I have to leave an answermachine message (I
am notoriously bad at these because I panic, stutter, stumble and
forget).
It seems to be getting worse, which worries me.
I barely answer the phone at work unless I know the number. Even last
night I got myself all anxious about doing DIY – I’m stripping the
stairs of paint. I’ve been doing it for a few weeks now – a couple of
hours a night, a couple of nights a week. But still I get anxious
thinking about starting: getting changed, actually cracking on with the
work.
Now, I realise fully that my suffering is nothing
compared with some other people. Some people suffer panic attacks that
see them hospitalised or passing out. Some people find their anxiety so
debilitating that they cannot leave the house. Currently I’m able to
grow a pair of balls and just knuckle down and get it done – there are
people that can’t do that, or at least not unmedicated.
The
problem is if it gets worse. As I say, I avoid answering the phone at
work. Unfortunately in my workplace conference calls spread worse than
the most contagious rash. I’ve tried explaining that I prefer doing
things over email – giving me the time to consider the implications of
the changes being made – but they insist upon conference calls to get
the matter sorted quickly. Fortunately I can usually sit back and let
someone else take the lead, but sometime it is something I have to do
and it makes me stressed.
Anyhow, I have to go and make that call…
No comments:
Post a Comment