Yesterday I bought a new mobile
phone.
This is hardly ground-breaking news,
you may think, but if you do you don’t know me.
I’m not one of those people who
updates their phone annually. I buy mine outright (rather than on a
contract) so I get to upgrade it as and when I choose. And that is
usually only when it is absolutely necessary.
For example, the last three phones I
had have all lasted me well in excess of two years each. The phone I
had previous to my current device was a Samsung Galaxy Note (as in a
Note 1 – the first of the series which is now up to 4) which I had
for two and a half years and I only changed it because it stopped
working because they stopped providing updates.
And that was when the major change
happened.
I went to a wristwatch mobile phone.
Now, this is a standalone mobile
wristwatch, not a companion. You put the SIM in the watch. You don’t
have a ‘buddy brick’ in your pocket and use the watch device simply to
read notifications, the watch is the entire phone. It is an Omate
Truesmart.
The future is here.
Now, a lot of people questioned me
about this. How do you take calls? How do you message? Is the screen
not too small?
Well, the answer was that it was all
surprisingly easy.
I’ll start off by saying that I
never intended it to be my sole device. I ordered it (well,
Kickstarted it) well in advance of giving up on my Note, however by
the time it arrived, the Note was on its way out and it proved so
difficult inserting the SIM into the wristwatch that swapping between them
was not an option.
But the watch proved functional
enough. Yes, the screen was small, but workable. The predictive text
was so sensible that mis-typing on such a small screen actually
wasn’t an issue. Phone calls were not a big problem either – I
could sit with my arm on my desk and talk at the watch, the
microphone and internal speaker both powerful enough. The problem
with phone calls only really occurred when I was at Alton Towers and didn’t have
my Bluetooth headset (which you can use if you need privacy on your
call) to cut out background noise. Then I looked a prat, talking into
my watch then pressing it to my ear to hear what was actually difficult to hear.
But other stuff was very useable, more so than expected –
apps, whilst not being optimised, were mostly usable. The Youtube app
lost its volume control which was annoying, but otherwise fine. Whatsapp disappeared off the homescreen and had to be launched separately through a rather convoluted process.
So, why am I giving up on it? What
are the problems?
Well, firstly, because of how much
they have tried to cram into the device, some bits have spilled out.
The antenna for wifi and mobile connectivity are embedded in the
strap, on one side, with the GPS antenna on the other. At some stage,
either through flex or sweat ingression, my GPS stopped working
actually very early on – obviously just a couple of days before I
had to take a detour round the back roads to avoid a massive traffic
jam.
Then, there’s the battery. It’s
obviously not going to be big, but even light usage of the internet
during the day means that it needs charging immediately after lunch
(from an overnight charge). The size of the screen means that it
can’t be used to watch video on a commute, but the lack of battery means
that you have to be very, very careful when travelling around in case
you need that last 10%. And because of how they tried to waterproof
the phone, you need a bespoke ‘cradle’ to charge the battery up with.
But it was also let down on some
technical specs. For a mobile device that was only released earlier
this year, it is almost inexcusable that it doesn’t have 4g.
The camera, though, was a real
let-down. It wasn’t 3mp as had been expected – it was 1.3mp
‘upscaled’ to 3mp. It was actually quite poor. Frustratingly so.
And the camera app was really glitchy. Three quarters of the time it
wouldn’t actually take the picture; when it did it had no ability
to select focus. It was the Tesco Value of camera apps. When you
think how often these days you use your mobile to snap a picture,
this is not good.
But I
persevered with it, and it has been usable if not a glowing
experience. Ultimately though I am going travelling in December, and
therefore absolutely need working GPS and a good camera, and a
sizeable screen for video will be a distinct advantage.
Aside from the specifically mentioned issues though, the "wristwatch-ability" of the device was a benefit, just not in its current format
No comments:
Post a Comment