So,
I left you on tenterhooks, didn’t I? What did I do about my
Facebook dilemma?
I
left.
Well,
I deactivated my account. It’s a further withdrawal to a place
where I am much happier… but I think I may go further.
How
so?
Well,deactivation is not deletion. Deactivating my
account removes it from the searches and viewing: if you were to
search for me, whereas once I would have appeared, now I do not. From
your perspective I do not exist.
But
from my perspective, the account is there, just dormant. I can
resuscitate it back to the state it was when I last left it. I do not
need to reload my photos, my full status history is still there, I
don’t need to reconnect with friends.
And
I suspect that I don’t count as one of those 2m UK users who ‘left’
Facebook in the last six months. I suspect they treat me as having
fallen asleep rather than turn my back.
But
it is part of the gradual withdrawal meaning I haven’t burned my
bridges if I find my life impossible to lead without it.
So,
how has it been?
Well,
I had one month where I didn’t post, I merely viewed the stuff on
my Newsfeed - which proved rather why I didn’t need it - and I’ve
now had one month without it entirely. Am I getting withdrawal
symptoms?
No.
I
have more time to do all the other stuff. Like this, other general
internettery and gardening and stuff.
Do
I not have any concerns?
Yes.
I worry that I’m not getting invited to things. I’m not fussed
about seeing the photos of other people’s food or babies, but I am
worried that certain events are being organised without me knowing.
Now,
this wouldn’t be a massive concern assuming that I never find out
about the event – if I don’t know about it, I can’t miss it.
But there are those that I do find out about. For example, next
weekend the football club has organised a camping trip. I haven’t
found out about this. Now, there is an organisation fault on the club
here: official club events should not be organised through Facebook,
it should be done through the official club email list. But in a lazy
way the social secretary has created a Facebook event which I would
not have known about had there not been a discussion about it in the
pub last week.
So
that’s one concern.
My
other concern is that people might forget about me. Not in a big way,
but I have a few of my friends who live overseas who I don’t see
frequently. Facebook was a useful way to stay in contact. Some of
those are on Twitter, but many are not. If nothing else, Facebook
gave me a prompt once a year to wish them a happy birthday. How many
I actually chose to wish it is another matter; but on other occasions
I could join in the conversation should I need.
I
do miss out on some other stuff though. This weekend I went down to
London and as well as my regular friends I bumped into some others.
Some were slightly offended that I might have deleted them.
Admittedly I could have handled the withdrawal better by letting
people know well in advance that I was deactivating my account, but
once I explained that it was me and not them, they were ok with it.
And there was conversation to be had – a lot of “well, you won’t
know because you’ve not been on Facebook, but …” – things
such as photos of a new car and a baby. So whilst Facebook cultivates
its own conversation, it doesn’t kill it otherwise, it still
occurs, just originates in a different fashion.
And
the pictures. We went out on Saturday night and all took photos. I
uploaded mine onto my Flickr account but that meant people having to
go out of their way to view the photos, and meant that I don’t get
to see the ones other people took unless they want to email them to
me.
And
then there are the more distant friends. I saw a few of them on
Saturday – people who I see once a year or less, and otherwise
would keep up with on Facebook. We did the ‘update’ chat; but
again, rather than it starting out with “Oh, and I saw on Facebook
that you ran a marathon – how was that?” there was less prompting
and the conversation slightly more stunted.
And
finally, the at-a-loose-end fall-back. I was abandoned for a while on
Saturday and Sunday – my friend needing a little rest. Previously I
could have searched on Facebook and seen what people were up to,
where they were and met them; or alternatively put out a general “on
my own in Soho if anyone is available for a drink”. Instead I had
to rely on texting a few people to see where they were.
But
then the risks outweighed the positives and I think I’m happier
with a deactivated account, even if it means I miss out on a few
events. I have enough people text or email me various event invites
that the effect will probably be minimal. I’m still undecided; and
it may be that I do rejoin, but change my relationship – interact
in a much more limited fashion after a full scrub of the information
on my account. I’m not sure. It’s a lot of effort to go through.
I’ll sit on a deactivated account for a little while longer and see
if I miss out on much more.
One
noticeable effect has been the discussion that it has sparked. People
have asked me why I left, and when I respond about my privacy and
security concerns, a lot of people echo it. Many have said that they
have reduced the amount they interact with Facebook – indeed, my
anecdotal evidence before I left was that they people whose statuses
I actually cared about were posting considerably less. Some have said
they are debating coming off.
Perhaps
the shark really has been jumped.
No comments:
Post a Comment