The death of another social media?
Another day, another highly
motivational or inspirational or otherwise well-intentioned post or
picture on Facebook.
You know the ones
“Share this if your mom is the best
mom in the world”
“Like this if you hate cancer”
“A best friend doesn't tell you to
stop crying, but cries with you”
or some other such nonsense.
Why are they proliferating?
Fortunately they seem to be subsiding
in favour of more classic memes and funny videos - Facebook has
recently changed not only the ability to share, but also the
embedding of shared videos to make this easier.
And it wasn't that long ago that the
'pay it forward' type videos were going around. You know, where the
chap seemed to be asking for some change; whereas in fact he was
asking us to change; the good deed carried on and repaid and that
sort of thing.
Most of them are highly unoriginal,
which kind of defeats the object of the message behind them. Is your
mom really the best mom in the world if you are actually sharing
someone else's image that has already been shared by half a million
people around the globe? But usually they have a very simple,
feel-good message behind them. They take no less than a second to
like or share, and you can look as though you are doing some good,
spreading the message, loving your mom in a slightly visible way.
Or at least until you start sharing so
many of these things that people start hiding your statuses, blocking
your account, unfriending you. That happened to a friend of mine; but
maybe he didn't listen to my previous post on social media use. It
certainly turned his timeline from a personal timeline into more of a
community pin-board of hopes and wishes. He lost a lot of friends.
But why are they so common at the
moment? Perhaps it is just that I am more sensitive to them - that
there are many other categories of share which I don't mind so much,
either because they are less intrusive, less irritating, or because I
engage with them.
However, they are more common than they
used to be though. A mere scan through my newsfeed last night
confirmed that there are now more “share” posts than original
statuses. Maybe there is a reaction - the media is filled pretty
substantially with bad-news-stories, doom and gloom and cancer.
People want an escape, they want to spread the love, they want
stories which aren't doom and gloom. Maybe they think people actually
care?
The posts generally fall into one of
four categories - the motivational posts about how you should live
your life, love your friends etc. (often with the old chain-letter
threat that if you didn't share or like then the opposite of the
intended motivation would occur); meme posts with a joke (or a
satirical lampooning of motivational posts); 'cause' posts - ban
animal cruelty, help find this van which was stolen, find these
people that stole a van or were cruel to animals, support this
charity, question whether the benefit/immigration policy is up to
scratch etc.; and commercial posts - 'like' and 'share' this to enter
our competition (including the fake ones claiming to be Apple giving
away a random number of Macbooks which for some ungiven reason cannot
be sold; and yet only having a few score 'likes'). We'll not consider
the latter though.
But it seems as though people are
reverting to motivational posts, memes and 'causes' as a reaction to
how 'social' social media has become.
The fact is: People are getting wary of
Facebook.
It has tried to be too social, too
public. It has tweeked its policies to allow it to share more of your
things, tweeked its settings to automatically share some of your
things, developed functions that don't allow you to disable the
ability to share some things. And people are responding to this. They
are concerned with updating their status or their check-in; they are
more reluctant to upload photos: the data might accidentally be
public, might disclose where they are when they are somewhere they
are not supposed to be; show them having fun when they weren't
supposed to.
The fault for this isn't just Facebook,
but the users. As more users are being publicly challenged, either
trial by criminal court, defamation proceedings, by media or by
professional colleagues; so they become more cautious. Suddenly that
drive to have over 200 friends, 300 friends, 500 friends has left
people questioning whether they want to post anything at all. Looking
through my feed last night I hid posts from someone. All of her posts
were 'cause' posts about vegetarianism, anti-animal cruelty etc. I
had to delve right back into the recesses of my mind to work out why
it was that I was friends with her in the first place: we had met
once, at a dinner party four years ago.
I have recently been recruiting for a
vacancy at work. One of the things that I did was check through
Facebook to see if the posts of any of the candidates were visible,
controversial or has some other potential to bring them or the
company into disrepute. The next thing I checked was whether we had
any mutual friends who could tag me in their photos, thereby exposing
me (or the candidate) to risk. And in the days where some of your 500
friends are people who you only met once at a party four years ago,
there is increasingly this risk. In a world of 500 friends there are
a lot fewer degrees of separation than six - the http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15844230"target="_blank">latest statistics
suggest it is closer to
3.74.
I enjoy being reasonably 'free' on my Facebook, hence why I don't
have work colleagues as friends on there, so I don't want an incoming
colleague to already be a friend, or a friend one removed. This also
presents itself as a problem for my colleague who is leaving to
travel the world - I would actually like him as a friend, however he
will also be friends with a number of other colleagues. That simply
can't be done.
As an example of the problems that can
be caused, take this weekend.
This weekend a very good friend of mine
is getting married. Unfortunately I will be unable to attend. This is
perfectly legitimate and entirely down to various logistical
problems, not least the wedding taking place on a Sunday night, quite
a distance from my home city on a day where train engineering works mean
that in order to get home at a sensible time for work on Monday I
would have to leave the wedding just before 10pm, which (as the party
doesn't start until 7:30pm) ends up being a practical impossible
situation. I have offered my apologies.
In an entirely separate development, I
am off down to London this weekend. This has been eased by my
non-attendance at the wedding; but was not conditional upon it. I
would still have been able to go to both London and the wedding had
other logistics not got in the way. In fact my return train was timed
on the basis that I was going to try to attend both.
However, there is a risk that a
conclusion could be drawn that I could not attend the wedding as a
direct result of my trip to London. This therefore means that I am
going to have to ask my friends not to tag me into places or in
photos for the weekend, until the conclusional risk has dissipated.
Fortunately my London friends seem to have started drifting away from
Facebook anyway, so the risk is minimal.
But is this caution a signal of the
death of social media - or at least social media in the current form?
From the memes, causes and motivational posts, social media seems to
be about being more social with other public media, rather than
publishing more about your own social life. It doesn't take long for
the bubble to burst. I know I keep going by to the Myspace example,
but in 2008 it was overtaken by Facebook as the most popular SM site.
Now it doesn't feature in the stats, so quick was the demise. Yes,
people are fickle; but they are also now getting educated about this
new form of communication. And whilst Facebook tries to push the
boundaries of 'public' and 'social', it takes more than a company to
redefine these terms for all of society. If the changes are imposed
upon us, we react in a manner that the company cannot control: we
withdraw. The only thing currently working in Facebook's favour is
that there is no challenger to the crown, no-one operating for the
benefit of the users, no-one to capitalise on Facebook's faults and
failings. Diaspora was supposed to, but never really took
off.
So, is this the death of Facebook?
Really?
Well, I can't help but think that - whilst not the end - it may be the beginning of the end. Whether
because of people actually getting stung, either by a scam or an
ill-considered post which has repercussions at work; or because of
the increasing wariness of witnessing others get so stung; or because
of a frustration that the site is no longer what it was - that whilst
it has tried to change “social media” to be inherently more
“social”, it has in fact changed the meaning of “media” from
“personal” to “meme”.
[Since I started writing this back in December and finished it on 21st March, there has been the resignation of the Youth Police and Crime Commissioner for Kent after her social media history came back to haunt her. We await to see if this has a further chilling (or normalising) effect on social media]
[Since I started writing this back in December and finished it on 21st March, there has been the resignation of the Youth Police and Crime Commissioner for Kent after her social media history came back to haunt her. We await to see if this has a further chilling (or normalising) effect on social media]
No comments:
Post a Comment